Make your own ice cream at home with 3 ingredients! This delicious No-Churn Vanilla Stracciatella Ice Cream is flaked with chocolate shavings.
Guess what?! You can make your own vanilla ice cream at home this summer. Yup! It's super simple with a few ingredients. Make it the night before a summer party, birthday or just because and you'll have delicious, creamy hard ice cream for dessert the next day.
Why You'll Love This Stracciatella Ice Cream!
We're making our own ice cream so that calls for an equally fancy name... introducing no-churn vanilla STRACCIATELLA ice cream!
Stracciatella is the Italian version of vanilla and chocolate chip! This was my favorite flavor of gelato growing up because my mom had a gelato maker and worked in an authentic Italian pizzeria (wood-fired, recipe straight from Italy, so you might say I'm a bit of a pizza snob because of this haha) that served stracciatella gelato. Instead of big chunks of chocolate, we are going to grate dark chocolate into thin shavings that incorporate seamlessly into the ice cream.
I like to serve this homemade vanilla stracciatella ice cream in a waffle cone for some crunch! Add a drizzle of chocolate syrup or date syrup (what I have on hand) for added sweetness. A little extra chocolate on top is a great option for those who prefer chocolate ice cream. You'll be blown away by how simple and delicious this recipe is! This recipe is family approved and tastes just as good as the stuff in a carton, if not a little better because you put some love into it. 😉
How to Make Simple 3 Ingredient No-Churn Ice Cream
Let me show you how easy it is to make your own no-churn ice cream! First, get out a large metal mixing bowl and your mixer! A tip my mom taught me when making homemade whipped cream is to use a metal bowl and put it in the freezer to chill before you start. A cold bowl speeds up the process a bit and keeps your whipped cream chilled as you mix!
First, add the heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to the mixing bowl and beat on medium to high until soft-medium peaks form. Dip the beater into the whipped cream and see if a peak is left on the tip of the beater to check the consistency.
Next, open a can of sweet condensed milk and grab a rubber spatula to scrape that gooey goodness into the mixing bowl. Gently fold in the condensed milk followed by your mix ins!
In this recipe we're using shaved dark chocolate as our mix in! Take a few squares of a high quality dark chocolate bar and create thin shavings with a large cheese grater.
Finally, fold in the shaved chocolate. Now you're ready to pour the ice cream mixture into a prepared baking dish. Line any medium sized baking dish you have with parchment paper. You could use two loaf tins, an 8x8 tin or an oval baking dish like I did. Sprinkle your ice cream with more chocolate and another pinch of salt if you'd like. Pop your dish into the freezer to set overnight or for at least 12 hours.
Everything You'll Need
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Homemade whipped cream makes this no-churn ice cream light and airy. This ingredient is key for making simple ice cream that's easy to freeze at home without any fancy ice cream maker!
- Sweet Condensed Milk: The magic ingredient that takes this recipe from fancy whipped cream to sweet, creamy ice cream! Pour a can of thick, syrupy sweet condensed milk into homemade whipped cream and gently fold to combine. This stuff is amazing!
- Vanilla Extract: We'll never get tired of a classic vanilla ice cream cone. A big spoonful of vanilla extract adds that childhood vanilla flavor we all love. Don't skip the vanilla!
- Chocolate Shavings: This recipe wouldn't be called stracciatella without chocolate! Not just any chocolate, but thin ribbons of chocolate shavings! Or feel free to finely chop a high-quality dark chocolate bar to create small chips.
- Pinch of Salt: As you may have noticed, sweet and salty is kind of our thing. A big pinch of salt balances out some of the sweetness from the condensed milk and enhances the chocolate throughout!
Tips for Making Homemade Vanilla Chip Ice Cream
Vanilla extract is a key component to making this a delicious and flavorful ice cream! Heavy whipping cream and sweet condensed milk need a little boost to become a melty ice cream you'll want to drink from the bottom of your bowl.
Also, setting out this ice cream for a few minutes before serving is a tip to remember! Letting the ice cream soften at room temperature for just a couple of minutes makes for easier scooping and you get that little bit of soft, melty ice cream around the edges of the dish that is my personal favorite.
Don't have chocolate?
This easy homemade vanilla ice cream would also taste great without any chocolate shavings! It has plenty of sweetness and flavor on its own.
More Dessert Recipes
- Ultimate Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Blondie Bars
- Easy Crunchy Caramel Chocolate-Covered Dates
- 5 Minute Simple Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
- Better Than Grandma's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
If you make this no-churn vanilla stracciatella ice cream, be sure to tag #bakedabundance on Instagram. We’d also love if you would leave a comment below and rate the recipe. We appreciate you!Print