These crunchy caramel chocolate-covered medjool dates are filled with nut butter and brown rice cereal. The brown rice cereal adds the crunch factor and takes this no-bake dessert from classic chocolate dates to a caramel candy bar! Rolled in dark chocolate, these vegan medjool date candies taste like caramel heaven!
Why You'll Love These Crunchy Caramel Chocolate-Covered Medjool Dates!
Easy. Healthy. Crunchy. Chocolatey. Vegan. Refined-Sugar-Free. Indulgent.
Shall I continue?! But, seriously! These crunchy caramel chocolate-covered medjool dates are amazing and the perfect post-dinner treat. I love cold candy bars so storing these chocolatey dates in the fridge makes them even more desirable.
The Magic Ingredient: Medjool Dates!
Medjool dates are delicious! You have to try this specific variety of date if you've never had it before! What makes medjool dates so special is that they're actually considered a fresh fruit. Who knew! They look like a dried fruit and many would believe they're similar to raisins or prunes. Nope! Medjool dates are soft and chewy and bring the caramel texture and flavor to this easy vegan dessert!
Everything You'll Need
- Medjool Dates: These babies are MAGIC. Medjool dates are technically a fresh fruit, but look like ginormous raisins. LOL but if you haven't tried this type of date before, you're missing out. Go get some, like right now!
- Nut Butter: You can use any nut butter you have on hand. I typically use peanut butter, but cashew butter is amazing and elevates the caramel flavor.
- Brown Rice Cereal: Let's add some crunch! We're going to mix brown rice puffs with our nut butter to create a crunchy, nutty filling for our chocolate-covered medjool dates.
- Vanilla Extract: Add a little vanilla extract to the nut butter filling to make this easy and healthy chocolate treat extra special.
- Cinnamon (optional): If you're a cinnamon lover like us, add a pinch of cinnamon to the crunchy nut butter filling!
- Dark Chocolate Chips: Use a high-quality dark chocolate for this recipe. Look for chocolate chunks or a chocolate bar with a high cocoa percentage and minimal ingredients. We want to use the good stuff!
- Flaky Sea Salt: Don't forget the sea salt! Salted chocolate is the best kind of chocolate in my opinion. A sprinkle of flaky sea salt makes these crunchy caramel chocolate-covered medjool dates POP. Sweet and salty is our favorite combo.
Need to make a substitution?
Don't have medjool dates?
Although medjool dates are THE BEST, other common date varieties will work similarly in this recipe. The main difference is that other dates are typically more dried out and not as soft and chewy as medjool dates. Regardless, make sure you "massage" your dates with your thumbs to make them softer and easier to fill.
Don't skip the salt!
The flaky sea salt takes these crunchy caramel chocolate-covered dates to the next level. Pink Himalayan salt would also work!
Cashew butter is best for this recipe as it pulls out the caramel flavor and is not overpowering like peanut butter. However, any nut or seed butter you have at home will work! I have used peanut butter as this is what I have at home most often.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Pumpkin Seed Bark
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Blondie Bars
- Soft and Fluffy Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Salted Caramel Pecan Chickpea Blondies
If you make these crunchy caramel chocolate-covered dates, be sure to tag #bakedabundance on Instagram. We’d also love if you would leave a comment below and rate the recipe. We appreciate you!Print
Crunchy Caramel Chocolate-Covered Medjool Dates
These Crunchy Caramel Chocolate-Covered Medjool Dates are vegan, refined sugar free and taste like a candy bar! Easy to make in just 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup nut butter, (I used cashew)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup brown rice cereal
- ¼ tsp cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil, optional
- flaky sea salt, for topping
- Start by removing the pits from 8 medjool dates. Use your thumbs to "massage" the inside of the dates, creating a little pouch to fill with our nut butter mixture. This helps soften the dates and makes them a better shape for filling.
- In a small bowl, combine nut butter, vanilla, cinnamon and brown rice cereal. Stir to combine.
- Use a small spoon to scoop some of the nut butter mixture into each date. Use your fingers to pinch each date closed.
- Melt about 1 cup of dark chocolate chips (and coconut oil if you have it) in the microwave or double boiler.
- Use a fork to roll each date in the. melted chocolate until fully covered. Add chocolate-covered dates to a small parchment lined baking sheet. Now, sprinkle flaky sea salt over the dates.
- Freeze dates for an hour or until chocolate is set. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for two weeks.
Keywords: chocolate covered dates, medjool dates, vegan dessert
Leave a Reply