These chocolate chip m&m cookies are loaded with chocolate and will be a hit with your friends and family! These colorful cookies are soft, chewy and easy to make. This recipe is tried and true and will make the best cookies every time.
You're going to love these bakery-style chocolate chip cookies with m&ms.
These m and m chocolate chip cookies will satisfy your sweet tooth and your chocolate craving all at once!
This recipe is easy to customize for different holidays by using seasonal m&ms. I opted for the red and green chocolate candies to make M&M Christmas cookies. Revisit this recipe for other holidays such as Valentine's Day or Easter and use pink and red or pastel m and ms.
This post will give you all the tips and tricks on how to make perfect chocolate chip m and m cookies from scratch.
Featured 5-star reviews:
Want to know what other people thought of this recipe? Check out these 5-star reviews left by our readers:
- "I love M&Ms and I've never baked them in cookies before. They turned out so good! You need to try these." - Amy
- "One of my favorite cookie recipes. They turn out great every time." - Evan
Looking for more unique Christmas cookie recipes? You've got to make these matcha white chocolate cookies. These cookies are a vibrant green color which makes them perfect for your Christmas cookie box.
Want something other than chocolate chip cookies for the holidays? This gluten free coconut macaroon recipe is perfect. These coconut cookies are dipped in dark chocolate and look super elegant.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Festive for the holidays! This recipe is one of our family's go-tos during the holidays. These chocolate chip m&m cookies make a great gift for Christmas. Use seasonal m and ms to customize this recipe for every holiday.
- Tried and true! This cookie recipe is based on my traditional chocolate chip cookies. I have made this recipe dozens of times along with several fun variations like this one. This recipe has been tested thoroughly so you get the best result.
- Pantry staple ingredients! These cookies are made with ingredients you already have at home and are quick to whip up.
- Bakery-style! This recipe makes thick, soft and chewy cookies that taste like they are fresh out of your local bakery!
- Loads of chocolate! These cookies are made with both chocolate chips and m&ms which adds extra chocolate flavor.
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Chocolate Chips
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Need to make a substitution or missing an ingredient? Here are some ways you can alter this recipe to fit your unique dietary needs.
- Dairy-free or vegan? Use high-quality vegan or plant-based stick butter and dairy-free chocolate chips to make these cookies dairy-free. M&Ms are not dairy-free or vegan so you'll want to find an alternative for these as well.
- Gluten-free? I have not tested this recipe with other flour. I recommend trying a gluten-free 1:1 baking flour if you try to make this recipe gluten-free. Leave a comment and let me know how this goes!
- Don’t have any M&M's? You can simply substitute them for chocolate chips or another mix-in of your choice like nuts or dried fruit.
Here are a few ideas for customizing this recipe and making different flavor variations:
- Use mini m&ms instead of the regular size to make the chocolate chips the star of the show.
- Swap the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips for a white chocolate cookie.
- Make a chocolate peanut butter version by substituting the M&M candies with Reese's Pieces.
- Use holiday-themed m and ms to make a festive cookie for any holiday!
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies with M&Ms
Step 1: First, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract.
Step 2: Next, use a hand mixer to beat wet ingredients until fully combined.
Step 3: Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Partially mix with beaters or use a rubber spatula or spoon to combine the dough.
Step 4: Once the dough is combined, add chocolate chips.
Step 5: Add M&Ms of your choosing and stir or fold to combine.
Step 6: Your soft cookie dough will be dotted with delicious chocolate chips and colorful chocolate candies as seen in this photo!
Step 7: Use a small to medium cookie scoop or a spoon to portion out the dough into equal amounts. Use your hands to roll into a uniform ball. Top with extra chocolate chips and m and ms before baking.
Step 8: Lastly, bake cookies according to instructions in the recipe card. Let cool completely before storing.
Expert Tips & Tricks
- Allow the cold ingredients to come to room temperature before making the cookie dough. This helps the ingredients to mix together properly.
- Chill your cookie dough for 20 to 30 minutes before forming the dough balls for extra chewy cookies. Chilling the dough a bit usually creates a better texture and shape.
- Top cookie dough balls with a few extra m&ms and chocolate chips before they head into the oven. This ensures the tops of the cookies are beautifully decorated.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- If desired, save some cookie dough balls for later by popping them into a storage bag and laying them flat in the freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question about this recipe? Here are some additional tips and commonly asked questions:
Yes! M&Ms bake really well in cookies and the candy coating around the chocolate stays intact after baking.
Yes! You can freeze unbaked m&m cookie dough balls and bake them later or you can freeze baked m&m cookies and thaw them when you're ready to eat.
You’ll need an aluminum baking sheet, parchment paper, a mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a rubber spatula, and a cookie scoop or spoon to make this chewy cookie recipe.
Store cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to a week. M&M cookies are best enjoyed in the first couple of days.
Store cooled cookies in a freezer-safe container or storage bag and freeze for up to two months. Once you're ready to enjoy them, let them thaw at room temperature.
For unbaked cookie dough balls, add them to a freezer bag with enough space in between each ball to prevent sticking. Lay the bag flat in the freezer. When you're ready to bake, remove the dough balls to thaw at room temperature for an hour or overnight in the fridge. If you're short on time, decrease your oven temperature by 25°F and bake cookies for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
Cookies made with frozen dough may slightly differ in appearance and texture from those made with fresh dough.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!
Did you try these m&m chocolate chip cookies? Leave a five ⭐️ review below and tag @bakedabundance on Instagram & Facebook!