Chocolate Cupcakes With Chocolate Frosting
This chocolate cupcake recipe makes 6 perfect chocolate cupcakes. These decadent chocolate cupcakes are easy to make from scratch, bake in under 20 minutes and are topped with the most amazing chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Author: Marley
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter or oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, optional
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk of choice
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla extract until light and frothy.
- Next, add your dry ingredients. Spoon and level your flour to get a more accurate measurement. Use a whisk to incorporate the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. I like to switch to a rubber spatula for the last few mixes so I can scrape the sides of the bowl. The batter will be thin.
- Using 6 liners, line your small cupcake tin. If using a cupcake tin that makes 12 servings, space out your cupcakes for a better bake. Spray the parchment liners with nonstick cooking spray to ensure your cupcakes won’t stick.
- Finally, use a large muffin scooper to distribute the batter evenly. Carefully pour the batter from the muffin scoop into the prepared parchment liner. The liners should be just about 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350F for about 18-22 minutes. Baking times vary slightly by different ovens. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cupcakes to check for doneness. The toothpick should come out clean or with a few crumbs. Allow the vanilla cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the softened butter until it has lightened in color and is light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time. Add remaining ingredients and beat until combined.
- Store cupcakes in the fridge for up to 5 days. Top with chocolate sprinkles if desired.
Keywords: chocolate cupcakes, small batch cupcakes, double chocolate cupcakes, chocolate buttercream frosting, chocolate desserts