Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
These caramel chocolate chip cookies are made with chocolate chips and store-bought caramels. They bake in under 12 minutes and have chewy, gooey caramel centers and golden, crispy edges. These are a decadent chocolate chip cookie and have a sweet, salty and buttery flavor.
- Author: Marley Braunlich
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Cookies, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 12 individually wrapped caramels, plus more for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. The butter and brown sugar will have lightened in color.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Fold chocolate chips into the cookie dough.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to portion out the dough. Flatten the cookie dough ball and place one storebought soft caramel in the center. Use your fingers to gently press the edges of the cookie dough around the caramel until it is covered and in the center of the dough ball.
- Use kitchen scissors to cut a few extra caramels into smaller pieces to use for topping.
- Top the cookie dough balls with extra chocolate chips and a few small caramel pieces before baking.
- Place 6 cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Once you remove the baked cookies from the oven, top them with a pinch of sea salt if desired.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack or tray to cool completely. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to a week. Cookies are best enjoyed in the first couple of days. You can reheat leftover cookies for about 10 seconds in the microwave to enjoy warm.
- See the blog post for more baking tips and details on how to customize this recipe.
Keywords: caramel chocolate chip cookies, salted caramel cookies, chocolate chip cookies with caramel, soft caramels, chocolate chip cookie recipe